Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Film of the Moment: Immortal Beloved

If you haven't come to appreciate the incredible passionate Ludwig Beethoven, then you must see the film "Immortal Beloved."One of my top 5 favorite films. Gary Oldman, (One of my lovers) embodies the great Ludwig, in the best sense. Gary you can do no wrong. I always try to watch documentaries or films on great artist's, composers, and writers. They seem to inspire me, and give me peak into how they obtained greatness. They all have such beautiful, sometimes heartbreaking stories. Ludwig Beethoven was a very passionate, depressed, angry yelling man. His story is a sad unforgettable one. But what I loved most about the film was that we get a peak into how Beethoven created/composed music. Below is a quote of him trying to open another's perspective of what music truly is. During this film I have goose bumps 80% of the time. It speaks to me, because of all the intense emotion through out the film. 




Ludwig van Beethoven: I cannot hear them, but I know they are making a hash of it. What do you think? Music is... a dreadful thing. What is it? I don't understand it. What does it mean?
 Anton Felix Schindler: It - it exalts the soul. 
Ludwig van Beethoven: Utter nonsense. If you hear a marching band, is your soul exalted? No, you march. If you hear a waltz, you dance. If you hear a mass, you take communion. It is the power of music to carry one directly into the mental state of the composer. The listener has no choice. It is like hypnotism. So, now... What was in my mind when I wrote this? Hmm? A man is trying to reach his lover. His carriage has broken down in the rain. The wheels stuck in the mud. She will only wait so long. This... is the sound of his agitation. "This is how it is... ," the music is saying. "Not how you are used to being. Not how you are used to thinking. But like this."

Oh Beethoven, you were not of this world. Thank you for that.








No comments:

Post a Comment